Muesli or Granola is often mistaken as a “healthy” breakfast option. Don’t get me wrong, some of them are (and this one certainly is!) but many on our shelves in South Africa are laden with sugar and would cause an insulin spike early in the morning, leaving you feeling hungry and tempted to continue having sweet tasting food throughout the day. So, this is why I have created this delicious sugar free granola for you to try – I had some inspiration from this cookbook I own however, my own version is below.
Please let me know your thoughts and what your favourite breakfast option is. It is one of my FAVOURITE meals of the day, so I will be adding more brekkie options soon!
- 200ml boiling water
- 100g dates (pitted)
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 500g whole rolled oats
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 100ml coconut oil, melted
- 200g mixed Nuts
- 100g mixed Seeds (flax, linseed sunflower, hemp, chia)
- 50g gogi berries
- 50g dried cranberries/raisons
- In a small bowl mix the dates with the boiling water and leave to stand until softened then drain.
- Add the bananas and softened dates into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place the oats, cinnamon and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl and mix with the date and banana paste till oats are well coated.
- Place the oat mixture into the oven at 140 degrees C for 15 minutes.
- Then remove and mix further, scraping the sides down to ensure even toasting then place back into the oven for further baking for 15 minutes again.
- Remove from the oven then allow to cool before adding the nuts, seeds, berries and/or raisons.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy with yoghurt or milk for a tasty breakfast. Option – add fruit where needed.